Braver Spaces Policy
Our intent is to encourage and empower all who enter this space to enact personal bravery, to express oneself authentically while participating in a way that protects and strengthens boundaries. Our hope is that, by holding space together while adhering to the following common goals, we can create a safe container that enables all of us to embody our values while cultivating a clearer vision for the world we wish to live in. We are committed to accountability and growth through self-reflection. These are the values we strive to uphold and the ones we think best support our mission of consent, respect, and inclusion.
- Everyone here treats each other with respect and consideration. We are responsible for our own actions. We are aware that most if not all of our actions have an affect on others, despite what our intentions may be, and ask all attendees to maintain this awareness.
- We do our best to respect people’s opinions, beliefs, experiences and differing points of view and revise our actions when made aware that they are not in line with this goal.
- We hold physical safety as paramount and acknowledge consent as the key.
- Bigotry is not welcome here. We acknowledge that we all come with socially conditioned prejudices, that we will make mistakes, and that it is impossible for any person to guarantee the safety of a space for another. We also acknowledge that we are working towards a world free of discrimination based on race, class, sex, gender, size, sexuality, physical or mental ability, appearance, social standing, etc. We will do our best to hold each other accountable when we perpetrate these discriminations. We acknowledge that it’s really hard to do this, and sometimes our feelings get hurt, and we’re choosing to do it anyway because working towards liberation is worth it!
- For any person who is violating the above policies, any attendee has the permission and is encouraged to call that person into accountability or request the assistance of one of the LAC organizers. In situations like this, we all support each other in taking steps to resolve the issue and defend our community.
- We have a strong commitment to handling conflict within our community when possible. If any conflict arises, please take steps to resolve the situation yourself or talk to an LAC organizer/facilitator. We all stand ready to assist each other with confronting violations of these guidelines.
- LAC takes responsibility for creating a forum and container for the creation of a culture that takes everyone’s safety into consideration. We cannot take responsibility for interpersonal conflicts, either pre-existing or those that may occur at LAC, but do commit ourselves to supporting, to the best of our ability, mediation that is in keeping with our values and protocols.